On Ramp Grant Program for Dislocated Workers
- Have you been laid off from your job or had a failed small business?
- Have your circumstances changed and you need to return to the workforce to support a family?
- Have you recently been honorably discharged from the military?
- Are you retiring soon from the military?
If so, you might be classified as a Dislocated Worker and you should consider the new On Ramp Grant Program at
Central Virginia Community College. Current CVCC students who meet the criteria may also be eligible to join the
The On Ramp Grant Program is designed to help dislocated workers upgrade their skills and improve their chances of
career success. This program provides eligible students with free tuition, books, and supplies as they pursue a
college degree or an industry-recognized certification. Through the On Ramp Grant Program, Central Virginia Community
College helps you get the training you need to be more marketable in today's competitive workforce. It's a great
chance to make a new start in a career that works for you!
The On Ramp Grant Program, supported by Dislocated Worker Training--National Emergency Grant funds, provides free
tuition, fees, books, and supplies to students enrolled in a degree program (such as a diploma, certificate, or
associate degree) that leads to employment in an in-demand career field. The On Ramp Grant Program is also available
to those who seek an occupational non-credit program that can lead to an industry certification, such as a Fast-Track
Technical Training program or the WorkKeys assessment certification. Funding is available on a first-come,
first-served basis to qualified individuals.
In addition to financial support, program participants receive:
- Assistance with career tools that help assess skill levels and interests
- Help with developing a career and training plan
- Information about the most in-demand career fields in Central Virginia
- Information about employment resources and services
- Connection to academic resources, such as tutoring and learning resources
- Advising from the On Ramp Grant Program Coordinator at Central Virginia Community College
- Referrals to other departments or agencies as appropriate for additional support
To be eligible for the On Ramp Grant Program, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be classified as a Dislocated Worker as defined by Workforce Investment
Act criteria. Dislocated Workers are eligible workers who have been laid off through no
fault of their own, those who have received an upcoming layoff notice, displaced
homemakers or caretakers, owners of a failed small business, those who are/have been
eligible for unemployment insurance, and Transitioning Service Members (recently
- Select a degree or certificate program of study at CVCC that is linked
to in demand employment opportunities based on local Labor Market Information
- Not already receiving a source of grant or scholarship funding that only
covers tuition, fees , books, and supplies
- Complete the Financial Aid Eligibility process
- Complete the Admissions process to Central Virginia Community College
- Complete the On Ramp Grant Program Intake process
Want to see if you qualify? Submit the information form
and you will be contacted ASAP.