Veterans Educational Assistance Program® (VEAP) (Chapter 32)
Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. The government matches your contributions on a 2-for-1 basis.
Available Benefits and Eligibility
Benefit entitlement is for one to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits. If the entitlement is not used after the 10-year period, your portion remaining in the fund will be automatically refunded.
You must meet the following requirements to qualify:
- Entered service for the first time between Jan. 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985
- Opened a contribution account before April 1, 1987
- Voluntarily contributed from $25 to $2,700;
- Completed your first period of service and were discharged or released from service under conditions other than dishonorable.
- If you are currently on active duty and wish to receive VEAP benefits, you must have at least three months of contributions available
Other Factors to Consider
Contributions may be withdrawn if you do not meet the basic eligibility requirements or if you formally request a refund of the contributions withheld.
How do I Apply?
How Do I Get More Information?
Contact your local VA Regional Office at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).